History

 

St. Agnes Church was established on March 19, 1940 by Bishop Daniel J. Gercke, Bishop of Tucson. The First Mass was held on April 14, 1940 in the Arizona Grocery Company, at 16th Street and Yale in Phoenix, a building the owners allowed the temporary church to meet in. The first pastor was Msg. Robert Donohoe.

Groundbreaking for St. Agnes' own church was in September 1940. The church and hall were completed in March 1941. Today these buildings serve as the parish halls - Donohoe Center and Saint Thérèse of Lisieux Hall.

The construction of the main church was begun in August 1952. St. Agnes church was said to be the longest church building in the state.

From a news article dated Friday August 1, 1952:

"Organized in 1940, St. Agnes Parish is a vivid proof of the growth of Phoenix. Its membership of less than 200 families has grown to more than 1000, Father Donohoe said. The new church, continued Father, would seat 1000 people on the main floor and in the balcony over the entrance. Additionally, there was space for a choir of 40 people behind the altar. The statue of St. Agnes in the church was a composite of 28 Phoenix children."

From a news article (approx. 1953):

"An Italian sculptor has used the composite features of 28 Phoenix school children in carving a statue of St. Agnes. It all came about because the statue was ordered for the new St. Agnes church at 23rd Street and Palm Lane. Msgr Robert J. Donohoe, church pastor ordered the statue from the Da Prato studios in Chicago. ...The statue of Bottichino marble has been placed in a niche of the new church. St. Agnes was canonized in the year 325 AD”

The Main Bell (in the Bell Tower) was consecrated on September 20, 1953. It weighs over two tons and was given the title, “Gabriel”. The Angelus is rung three times daily automatically. Other rings are controlled from the priests’ sacristy.

... RAISED IN THIS TOWER IN GRATEFUL MEMORY INTO THE DESERT SKY WITH CHRIST’S CROSS HELD ALOFT THAT ALL MAY SEE IN THESE DARK DAYS THE ONLY WAY TO PEACE. (UNKNOWN PARISHIONER)


La Iglesia Santa Inés fue establecida el 19 de marzo de 1940 por el Obispo Daniel J. Gercke, Obispo de Tucson. La Primera Misa se llevó a cabo el 14 de abril de 1940 en el Arizona Grocery Company, en 16th Street y Yale en Phoenix, un edificio en el que los propietarios permitieron que la feligresía se reuniera de manera temporal. El primer párroco fue Msg. Robert Donohoe.

La construcccion de la Iglesia Santa Inés dio inicio en septiembre de 1940. La iglesia y el salón parroquial se completaron en marzo de 1941. Hoy en día, estos edificios sirven como salones parroquiales: el Centro Donohoe y el Salón Santa Thérèse de Lisieux.

La construcción de la Iglesia principal dio inicio en agosto de 1952. En aquel entonces se decía que la Iglesia Santa Inés era la más grande del estado.

De un artículo de noticias fechado viernes 1 de agosto de 1952:

"Organizada en 1940, la Parroquia Santa Inés es una clara prueba del crecimiento de Phoenix. La feligresía original de al menos 200 familias ha aumentado a más de 1000, indico el padre Donohoe. La nueva iglesia, agregó el padre, tiene capacidad para albergar 1000 personas en el piso principal y en el balcón sobre la entrada. Además, se cuenta con espacio para un coro de 40 personas detrás del altar. La estatua de Santa Inés, ubicada dentro de la iglesia, fue compuesta considerando 28 niños de Phoenix."

De un artículo de noticias (aprox. 1953):

"Un escultor italiano ha utilizado las características de 28 escolares de Phoenix para tallar la estatua de Santa Inés. Todo sucedió porque la estatua fue ordenada para la nueva Iglesia de Santa Ines ubicada en 23rd Street y Palm Lane. Mons. Robert J. Donohoe, paárroco de la iglesia, ordenó la estatua de los estudios Da Prato en Chicago... La estatua de mármol de Bottichino se ha colocado en un nicho de la nueva Iglesia. Santa Inés fue canonizada en el año 325 dC."

La Campana Principal (en el Campanario) fue consagrada el 20 de septiembre de 1953. Pesa más de dos toneladas y recibió el título de “Gabriel”. El Ángelus suena tres veces al día automáticamente. Otros sonidos se controlan desde la sacristía de los sacerdotes.

... LEVANTANDO EN ESTA TORRE, EN MEMORIA AGRADECIDA, HACIA EL CIELO DESIERTO CON LA CRUZ DE CRISTO SOSTENIDA, EN ALTO PARA QUE TODOS PUEDAN VER EN ESTOS DÍAS OSCUROS EL ÚNICO CAMINO A LA PAZ. (FELIGRES DESCONOCIDO)

 

Our Lady of Mount Carmel,
pray for us!
Saint Agnes,
pray for us!

Nuestra Señora del Monte Carmelo,
¡ruega por nosotros!
Santa Inés,
¡ruega por nosotros!